Friday, August 15, 2008

Lobster Fishing Update

Mount Desert Islander:
TREMONT — Dock prices for lobster are low and the rising costs of fuel and bait are squeezing fishermen’s bottom lines. As the profits dwindle, area lobstermen deal with the situation in their own ways. There are several common threads in their opinions of how the scenario plays out.

“The fuel is just killer,” said Wayne Rich of Tremont. “It is almost double what it was last year. Normally, I would run my engine at 2000 to 2100 to cruise; now I am running 1600-1800 rpm.” The slower the engine speed, the better the fuel efficiency.

“I am also not fishing as far out as I normally do. I think guys aren’t running offshore because of fuel,” Mr. Rich said. “If they can catch as much inside as they can outside, they do that for awhile and then they will move them outside in September or October.”

Bar Harbor fisherman Shane Carter is also easing back on the throttle. “I am running the boat a lot easier,” Mr. Carter said. - more

No comments: